
Nishar Mohammed
Sri Vijaya Puram, Aug. 18: Shivpuram Gram Panchayat Pradhan Venkateshwar Rao has raised serious questions over the permission process for installing a statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose within the Panchayat premises, alleging that officials of the Rural Development Department failed to provide clarity despite the proposal being under process for nearly one-and-a-half years.
According to the Pradhan, the demand to install a statue of the freedom fighter in the Panchayat has been pending for the past three to four years. He said that the proposal had the consent of the Gram Sabha and the necessary approval from the District Administration had also been obtained in connection with the proposed installation.
Venkateshwar Rao said that it took nearly one-and-a-half years to prepare all the necessary documents for the project, including details of the land, estimated cost, civil and electrical works, statue design and quotations. He stated that the Rural Development Department had initially sought these documents and details regarding the proposed work from the Panchayat, following which the Panchayat expected that the statue would be permitted to be installed within its premises.
According to the Pradhan, he met the Director of the Rural Development Department on July 3 and submitted the complete estimate and relevant documents. He alleged that during the meeting, a positive response was not given to the proposal for installing the statue and that he was advised to undertake development works such as a footpath or drain instead of installing the statue.
Rao said that development works such as roads and drains are certainly necessary, but installing statues of great freedom fighters is also an important way of introducing future generations to their contributions, sacrifices and role in the freedom struggle.
He further stated that a few days after the meeting, he received a letter from the Rural Development Department stating that permission for installation of the statue could not be granted, citing a Supreme Court order.
The Pradhan questioned why, if the concerned Supreme Court order had been in force since 2013, the Panchayat was not informed about the restriction at the initial stage instead of allowing the proposal and documentation process to continue for nearly one-and-a-half years.
Venkateshwar Rao said that the proposed statue was to be installed entirely within the Panchayat’s own premises and not along a roadside or at any other public location. He therefore sought a clear explanation from the concerned authorities regarding the applicability of the cited order to the proposed installation.
He also alleged that he was not treated appropriately while submitting the documents. According to Rao, an official allegedly threw his documents in front of him and spoke to him in what he described as a threatening manner.
The Pradhan said that Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose remains a source of inspiration for the youth and that installing his statue within the Panchayat premises would be a tribute to the great leader of India’s freedom struggle. He said that the villagers and youth had been given hope that the statue would be installed and that the issue had also been discussed before the Gram Sabha. However, the denial of permission has now caused disappointment among the people.
Venkateshwar Rao said that he has also discussed the matter with the Member of Parliament and is preparing to meet the Chief Secretary to place his demand before the Administration. He appealed to the residents of Shivpuram Panchayat and followers of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose to express their views and support regarding the issue.